11/11 is most commonly known as Veteran's Day, but it's also celebrated as Single's Day! In China, known as Guanggun Jie, Singles Day is bigger than Black Friday - with retailers offering tons of offline and online sales. The holiday is rumored to have started at Nanjing University in 1993, as a way for students to celebrate being single. We are HERE FOR IT!
The US has yet to catch on -- or maybe today just gets lost amongst the other Single-centered holidays, including February 14: Single's Awareness Day and September 26: National Singles Day. Can there be too many holidays dedicated to the single life? Hell no!
It is okay to never have kids. It's okay to have kids when you're 40 or older. It is okay to pack up and move out of the town you grew up in...forever. It's okay if you don't finish college. It's okay if you didn't even go to college. It's okay if you don't want to get married. You get ONE life, and it should be spent following YOUR heart, not visions or expectations that belong to other people! Chase happiness. If you find someone worth your badass self, awesome! If not, live a life that will make your married friends jealous!
Here are our tips on celebrating Singles Day!
10 super cheap & easy ways to STOP the self-loathing and celebrate your sexy AF single self, every single day:
1. Watch the movie SINGLES! Classic 90s! (Then download the soundtrack.) #TouchMeImDick
2. Check out Meetup.com for singles events in your city. Speed dating? Brewery field trip? Ghost tour? Say yes to everything!
3. Hit up Goodwill and look for a funky piece of old school artwork that will brighten up your space and make you smile
4. Plan a solo trip to another country. Give yourself a timeframe. List out action steps on how to make that sh-t happen
5. Creativity comes out to play most often during solitude. Take advantage of it! What do you love to create? Food? Watercolor art? Non-fiction? Fiber art crafts? Start a new project, or pick up an old one. Turn on some tunes and enjoy having nothing else to do but make time for yourself
6. List out all of the reasons you're happy to be single, and free of past toxic relationships (or people). Go inward: if you're looking for a new relationship, what areas of your life need to heal first?
7. Grab a friend & embark on a photo safari in your city. Snap pix of street art, unique architecture, and of course, selfies! Wear what makes you feel awesome & do a DIY photo shoot downtown
8. Host a blind date party for your single friends. Err'body bring a single plus one!
9. Buy a new sex toy! (Take 11% off your rockcandytoys.com purchase, today only with code FYEAHSINGLE!) #ShamelessPlug
10. Say a quick 'thank you' to the Universe for the gift of unlimited time and pleasure, which you have at your fingertips! Know that you are complete, you are worthy, you have nothing to prove to anyone, and every damn thing you want in this life is already on its way to you.