We don't necessarily need to honor femme-identifying pioneers only one month out of the year! However, March is specifically designated to celebrate the achievements of womxn and their contributions throughout history. The month-long holiday started as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, CA in 1991 and was officially established in March of 1982.
Here are 10 ways to celebrate the badass women who paved the way for the world we live in today, while continuing to put their efforts into action.
1. Brush up your knowledge on why Women's History Month is an important celebration.
2. Thank a woman who inspires you - send a surprise text to a friend, send an email to a lady mentor, or write a thank you card for a coworker you lurve!
3. Besssssst reason to snap up some Girl Scout cookies! The next time you see a troop at your local supermarket (or bars...we have seen boxes of cookies in bars and wine shops around town - tiny geniuses these little women are) -- give them your money and support the biggest small business training program for girls.
4. Support femme-owned businesses! A few of our favorites:
Pop-Up Plus - Curvy clothes/accessories)
Bird + Stone - Jewelry for a cause
Cocokind - Sustainable skincare
5. Have good sex! This in and of itself is an act of paying homage to the women who paved the way for sexual expression, women's health and reproductive rights. Thank heavens for these brave ladies.
6. Watch some TED Talks by thought-provoking female leaders.
7. Check out a local gallery with women-inspired art exhibits, running throughout the US right now.
8. Continue to shed awareness on influential women to younger generations.
9. Compliment other women frequently (and be conscious of avoiding gossip)! You never know who needs to hear something positive today.
10. Lend a hand! If you see a woman who needs help, jump in and assist. Grocery bags? A stroller? Jump on the chance to spread support and kindness - we are all in this together.
I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.